Do you have any of those peel and stick albums? You know the ones...... we often call them magnetic albums, they were very popular in the 70's and 80's.
Technology and science has moved on a lot since then, and we now know that these albums are causing our photos to deteriorate more quickly.
Your photos are sandwiched in a chemical layer of acidic cardboard, non photo safe glues and pvc plastic.... You may also find the photos are stuck solid in the albums, despite them being marketed originally as repositionable.
So...this is a heads up for you to go check you albums and take steps to save your photos from fading!
You have 2 options...
1. You can scan the photos in situ, on a flat bed scanner, and reprint them. This will take you a little time and some editing on a photo program such as Photoshop...(more on this to come in a future newsletter)
2. You can remove the photos from the album and redo in a new photo safe scrapbook album.
Steps to take when removing photos...
1. To test the stickiness of the album, pick a photo that you don’t mind sacrificing, and try seeing a corner gently.
2. If it lifts easily, gently remove from the album
3. If it is stuck more tightly get some plain dental floss, and try working the thread under the edge of the photo to loosen it.
4. If this doesn’t work, you could try using a hair dryer on a low setting to soften the glue, then try seeing again.
Make sure you label and categorise as you go, don’t wait until you have a whole album's worth of photos in a pile!